Friday, January 06, 2006

We pass each other on the stairs....

I recieved a book today I had ordered earlier about Michael Hutchence (the late lead singer for INXS). After Michael died, INXS died in my eyes, too. No crappy reality show can replace him. I saw INXS live several times and Michael always stole the show. The sensuality, control of the crowd, ambiguous sexuality, the lust and the stage command. I first became aware of the band when they put out the single "The One Thing" here in the US and became a HUGE fan. I have since realized that not ONE day has gone by without me listening to at least one INXS song or one of the songs on Michael's solo album. I'll never forget him or the joyful gifts he brought to me and to the rest of the world. A song that I feel sums a lot of it up is included below. I originally heard it on the Best Of INXS CD several years back...and it has choked me up ever since. Michael...wherever you are, we loved and we still do love you. And thank you, Michael...for making very difficult times in my life tolerable. And bringing me such unexpected joy. You are certainly missed.


The Stairs

Written by A. Farriss/Michael Hutchence

In a room above a busy street
The echoes of a life
The fragments and the accidents
Separated by incidents
Listened to by the walls
We share the same spaces
Repeated in the corridors
Performing the same movements

Storey to storey
Building to building
Street to street
We pass each other on the stairs

Storey to storey
Building to building
Street to street
We pass each other on the stairs

Listened to by the walls
We share the same spaces
Repeated in the corridors
Performing the same movements

The nature of your tragedy
Is chained around your neck
Do you lead or are you led
Are you sure that you don’t care

There are reasons here to give your life
And follow in your way
The passion lives to keep your faith
Though all are different all are great

Climbing as we fall
We dare to hold on to our fate
And steal away our destiny
To catch ourselves with quiet grace

Storey to storey
Building to building
Street to street
We pass each other on the stairs

Listened to by the walls
We share the same spaces
Repeated in the corridors
Performing the same movements

Storey to storey
Building to building
Street to street
We pass each other on the stairs

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Michael Kelland Hutchence
1960-1997
© 2005 BMD

2 Comments:

Anonymous The Breakdown said...

I never knew you were such a big INXS fan, Gurl!

Were you a groupie too?


Haaaay!

11:59 PM PST  
Blogger ChiliGurl said...

Hehe.....I'm a HUGE INXS fan, gurl. I thought everyone knew that!! A groupie? I would have been a Michael Hutchence groupie. You know....I never cried to "Never Tear Us Apart" until after he died. Now I get tears in my eyes. Some people wonder about my devotion to him and to the band. The best way I know how to explain it to them is to use whatever band they are into at the time. Ask them how they feel about the songs, the musicians, the variety of the music and things like that. When I get done listening (tolerating the mindless drivel), I go on my tirade of INXS and Michael Hutchence. I'll go into it at a new post later today....I have to explain to these other fans(?) what's up with the eye as you already know and then go into my mind to find the words about how I became such a devoted person to INXS and Michael Hutchence. *mwah*

1:58 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home